The County Bounty is currently seeking applicants for the position of Farm Hand!
The County Bounty Farm is a non-certified organic vegetable farm just outside of Picton, Ontario. Established in 2016, we focus on growing for a small CSA, farmers markets and custom growing for restaurants in PEC. The farm was created in response to a need for a local and sustainable food system to help with the battle against climate change and to increase the resourcefulness, resilience and responsibility of PEC and those who live here.
Position Description: Farm Hand – The County Bounty
Hours: 30-40 hours per week
Contract: June – September
Supervisor: Dodie Ellenbogen (owner and farm manager)
Eligibility: This person MUST BE a returning full-time student in Fall 2018.
We are looking for someone who is observant, thoughtful, good at taking initiative, enthusiastic and self-motivated. In this position you will assist the farmer in managing a two-acre garden. While experience farming would be an asset, it is not as essential as being a team player who is outwardly passionate about food systems and being a steward of our soils and the earth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the farmer in executing the farm operation plan for the season
- Help harvest, wash, sort and prepare produce going to Farmers Markets, CSA, and restaurants
- Assist with going to Farmers Markets, doing deliveries of CSA
- Participate in all farm operations from seed planting, to weeding, to harvesting, to selling
- Follow the farm’s integrated pest management and organic growing practices
- Participate in the events, feasts, volunteer days hosted by The County Bounty
- Perform farm tasks with the use of farm tools and machinery as needed
- Farming experience in small-scale agriculture production an asset
- A keen interest in sustainable agriculture and community building projects
- A willingness to learn and become an integral part of the farm team
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work outside under all weather
- Respectfully interact and communicate with staff, and the public
- Interest in working with a diversity of people
- Great organizational skills
- G driver’s license is an asset
- Valid First Aid Certificate an asset
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to Dodie Ellenbogen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is June 22nd or until the position is filled.